Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Random Papers and Other Stuff That May Get You Fired

We have been asking one of the secretaries in my office for a certain file since yestereday.  When all polite attempts have failed and it is clear that she is going to force us to boss up on her, I walk over to her desk and kindly ask her to hand over the file immediatly.  Without looking up (her first really big mistake) she says she has to "get the file together" and she will bring it to me. *Evil Squint*  In my nicest, youreallydontwantmetolosemycool voice I say "no that will not be necessary, just tell me where the file is, in whatever condition it is in, and I will organized it myself."  *Evil Squint*  She finally reaches up to a shelf above her desk and pulls down a stack of papers *BLANK STARE* and starts sorting through them....So I say, "is that the file?" and she responds "yes it is but I need to put it in chronolgic order." *BLANK STARE* I say "no no, just give me the pile of papers and I will organize them (not because this is my job but because the time for you to do your job has come and gone). 

Do you know why we call our files "files"?  You guessed it, because pieces of paper that would otherwise be random scraps are hole punched and placed in chronological order (with an index) in physical file folders.  It is the secretaries job to organize the random scraps and it is my job to know what they mean.  Soooo, when I am handed a stack of papers in no particular order (which by the way smell annoyingly like gardenias) on a case where I have to take some immediate action, I start to wonder if people in this country truly value their jobs?

1 comment: