Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Smell of Stupidity!

First, I just want you all to know that I had to look this story up to make sure it was true. I heard on the radio this morning that City of Detroit employees would be receiving free...deodorant (of all the things they might really need???) *Blank Stare* But the good part of this story is the reason for the deodorant soup kitchen. Apparently a city employee filed a lawsuit claiming that the smell of another employee’s bath products made her so sick that it was impossible for her to do her job. * Second Blank Stare* The lawsuit, which was filed in federal court, actually settled for $100,000.00. *Third Blank Stare* As a result, city employees have been warned to refrain from using scented bath products including, lotions, perfumes and you guessed it- deodorant. However, the city rightfully feared that a pervasive stench created by unmitigated "funk" might be equally offensive. Therefore, today and tomorrow city employees can receive free packets of unscented deodorant. * Final Blank Stare*



My personal rant: If you have been in Detroit lately, read a Time magazine in the past year, saw the Oprah special on poverty or heard the now famous song by country singer John Rich ("Shutting Detroit Down"), you would know we are facing some serious problems in the city of Detroit. I can't help but to wonder what $100,000.00 may have done to aid in one of the many economic crises facing the city. But as usual, instead of using money constructively, we open the window which separates us from the unintelligent laziness of people like the employee and throw the money out.

Let me tell you all of the dumb stuff that offends me about my job: the hours (I would rather a much shorter work day), the stacks of paper (I mean I just get tired of reading), the guy in the next office who has a voice like the jolly green giant and takes EVERY call on speakerphone, the coffee, the bathroom soap (dries my hands out), the receptionist who always mixes my father up with my sister on the phone (*Blank Stare*) etc. etc. etc. It never crossed my mind to sue anyone for these discomforts because I just assumed them to be occupational hazards. Since I need to stay occupied (aka, employed), I suck it up and keep it moving. Has the whole world gone crazy????

1 comment:

  1. OMG I think that if you are a senior attorney you are required to randomly yell on the phone!

    ReplyDelete